- Adjunct Professor
- Research-Theme Immunopathogenesis of dengue,CD8 T cell in defense against histoplasmosis
B. S. in Plant Pathology, National Chung-Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan
M. S. in Microbiology, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA, USA
Licensed as California Medical Technologist in Clinical Microbiology
Ph.D in Microbiology and Immunology, UCLA, CA, USA
2007-Present Adjunct Researcher, Division of Infectious Disease, NHRI
2006-2007 Deputy Dean of Research and Development, NTU College of Medicine
2000-2006 Director, Graduate Institute of Immunology, NTU College of Medicine
My laboratory is devoted to the study of immunopathogenesis of infectious diseases. In recent years, our studies include dengue, histoplasmosis, SARS and tuberculosis.
We have recently developed a mouse model to study dengue hemorrhage. In this model we observed that dengue virus-infected mouse developed hemorrhage. As far as we know, this is the first time hemorrhage is induced in a mouse model. Work is in progress to identify the host effector molecule(s) as well as viral factor(s) that mediate hemorrhage.
By use of a well-characterized animal model of histoplasmosis, infection by Histoplasma capsulatum, an intracellular pathogen of the macrophage, we currently focus our study on (1) the mechanism of CD8 T cell activation involving cross-presentation of fungal antigen in mouse infected by Histoplasma; (2) the receptor molecules on mouse macropahge that are responsible for uptake of Histoplasma yeast cells; and (3) the death signaling pathway transduced in macrophage after uptake of Histoplasma yeasts.
- Peng, J.-K., J.-S. Lin, J. T. Kung, F. D. Finkelman, and B. A. Wu-Hsieh*. 2005. The combined effect of IL-4 and IL-10 suppresses the generation of, but does not change the polarity of, type-1 T cells in Histoplasma infection. Int. Immun. 17:193-205
- Lin, J.-S., C.-W. Yang, D.-W. Wang and B. A. Wu-Hsieh*. 2005. Dendritic cells cross-present exogenous fungal antigens to stimulate a protective CD8 T cell response in infection by Histoplasma capsulatum. J. Immunol. 174:6282-6291
- Lin, C.-Y., Y.-T. Ching, and B. A. Wu-Hsieh*. 2005. A computer method for ELISA spot assay analysis. Opt. Eng. 44(8):083604 1-6
- Yen, Y.-T., F. Liao, C.-H. Hsiao, C.-L. Kao, Y.-C. Chen, and B. A. Wu-Hsieh*. 2006. Modeling the early events of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus infection in vitro. J. Virol. 80:2684-2693
- Hsieh, M.-F., S.-L. Lai, J.-P. Chen, J.-M. Sung, Y.-L. Lin, B. A. Wu-Hsieh, C. Geraard, A. Luster and F. Liao. 2006. Both CXCR3 and CXCL10/IFN-inducible protein 10 are required for resistance to primary infection by dengue virus. J. Immunol.177:1855-63
- Chen, J.-P., H.-L. Lu, S.-L. Lai, G. S. Campanella, J.-M. Sung, M.-Y. Lu, B. A. Wu-Hsieh, Y.-L. Lin, T. E. Lane, A. D. Luster, and F. Liao. 2006. Dengue virus induces expression of CXC chemokine ligand 10/IFN-γ-inducible protein 10, which competitively inhibits viral binding to cell surface heparan sulfate. J. Immunol. 177: 3185-3192
- Chen, H.-C., F. M. Hofman, J. T. Kung, Y.-D. Lin, and B. A. Wu-Hsieh*. 2007. Both virus and tumor necrosis factor alpha are critical for endothelium damage in a mouse model of dengue virus-induced hemorrhage. J. Virol. 81:5518-5526
- Yen, Y-T. Yen, Y.-D. Lin, H. –C. Chen, C.-C. Shieh and B. A. Wu-Hsieh*. 2008. Enhancement by TNF-α of dengue virus-induced endothelium production of reactive nitrogen and oxygen species is key to hemorrhage development. J Virol. 82:12312-12324
- Wu-Hsieh BA*, Yen YT, Chen HC. 2009. Dengue hemorrhage in a mouse model. Ann N Y Acad Sci. Sep;1171 Suppl 1:E42-7
- J-S Lin, J-H Huang, L-Y Hung, S-Y Wu, and B. A. Wu-Hsieh*. 2010. Distinct roles of complement receptor3, Dectin-1, and sialic acids in murine macrophage interaction with Histoplasma yeast. J Leukoc Biol. 88(1):95-106
- Lee, H.-C., Y.-T. Yen, W.-Y. Chen, B. A. Wu-Hsieh, and S.-C. Wu*. 2011 Dengue type 4 live-attenuated vaccine viruses passaged in Vero cells affect genetic stability and dengue-induced hemorrhage in mice. PLoS One 6:e25800
- Hsieh, S.-H., J.-S. Lin, J.-H. Huang, S.-Y. Wu, C.-L. Chu, J. T. Kung, and B. A. Wu-Hsieh*. 2011. Immunization with apoptotic phagocytes containing Histoplasma activates functional CD8+ T cells to protect against histoplasmosis. Infect. Immun. 79:4493-4502 (A featured article in “Spotlight”)
- Hu W.-C., Y.-T. Yen, S. Singh, C.-L. Kao and B. A. Wu-Hsieh*.2012 SARS- CoV regulates immune function-related gene expression in human monocytic cells. Viral Immunology: 277-288
- Sung J.-M., C.-K. Lee and B. A. Wu-Hsieh*. 2012. Intrahepatic Infiltrating NK and CD8 T Cells Cause Liver Cell Death in Different Phases of Dengue Virus Infection. PloS ONE (9): e4629217
- Sheng-Yang Wu, Jhang-Sian Yu, Fu-Tong Liu, Shi-Chuen Miaw and Betty A. Wu-Hsieh* 2013. Galectin-3 Negatively Regulate Dendritic Cell Production of IL-23/IL-17-Axis Cytokines in Infection by Histoplasma capsulatum. J Immunol. 190:3427-3437
- Lee, Agnes Fermin, Huan-Yuan Chen, Lei Wan, Sheng-Yang Wu, Jhang-Sian Yu, Annie C. Huang, Shi-Chuen Miaw, Daniel K. Hsu, Betty A. Wu-Hsieh, and Fu-Tong Liu*. 2013. Galectin-3 modulates Th17 responses by regulating dendritic cell cytokines. Am J Pathol. 183(4):1209-22.
- Lee, Yu-Hsiang, Chai-Lin Lai, Shih-Hung Hsieh, Chi-Chang Shieh, Li-Min Huang, and Betty A. Wu-Hsieh*. 2013. Influenza A virus induction of oxidative stress and MMP-9 is associated with severe lung pathology in a mouse model. Virus Res. 26;178(2):411-22.
- J. C. Lin, S. C. Lin, W. Y. Chen, Y. T. Yen, C. W. Lai, M. H. Tao, Y. L. Lin, S. C. Miaw and B. A. Wu-Hsieh*. 2014. Dengue viral protease interaction with NF-kappaB inhibitor alpha/beta results in endothelial cell apoptosis and hemorrhage development. J Immunol. 193(3): 1258-1267.